Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Past and Present. (we'll talk about the future next week...)

I'm sorry I haven't written in a while.  It won't happen again.  I can't guarantee that.  Actually I won't guarantee that... it's impossible.


So here's a little more about me... because it hasn't been about me this WHOLE time.


When I was younger... I had a unibrow.  My sister had a unibrow, and by brother had a cruel sense of humor.  Carl always found ways to make fun of us when we were younger.  Between the single eyebrow and our nicknames (that we will leave off of here until I deem it necessary to humiliate myself again) that he would create out of the blue, he always kept our home life interesting. 

In case you were curious: thank goodness for my head growing larger (and a great pair of tweezers), because now I am the proud owner of TWO eyebrows. 


I used to have a really weird relationship with my sister and brother.  Carl (being the "not-twin" of the three of us) was always the one picking the favorite of the day while Melissa and I (being the 'options') tried desperately to be the fav-of-the-day.  He would sometimes coax us to be mean to the other...  looking back it's kind of funny because the things we said were silly like "stupid-head!" or "meanie-face!" and nowadays, that's like something you call your BFF.  


Anyway, as time went on and we approached middle/high school, Melissa and I started to have a sort of "cohesion" and Carl went and did the man-stuff.  Weight rooms, grunting, making bad decisions, and wearing south pole... which is kind of the same as the "making bad decisions".  But who am I to judge style, I rotate between 5 work outfits nowadays.


Eventually we went to college and Carl moved to IA.  IA isn't that far away, but it seemed super far.  So Melissa and I were together more than Carl.  THEN I moved to Wisconsin, Melissa fell in love, Carl moved home, Carl moved to Buffalo, I moved home, Melissa got married, and I started online dating (see here).  And this brings us to today.  Where I'm sitting at a Starbucks writing about the first thing that comes to mind while watching this couple sitting DIRECTLY in front of me, staring into each others eyes, Clearly madly in love (because they're sharing a skinny vanilla latte). Both men wearing matching jewelry. Good for them.


Not distracted at all.


But I'm waiting for a call from Melissa, plan to call Carl shortly, and can't help but to think of how happy I am to be where I am today.  All of those "Life-ending-arguments" we had as kids brought us to today.. Where we rely and depend on each other in happy and sad times (in sickness and in health).  But for real.  I love them.  and I'm happy.


This is our most recent picture together.... REALLY, guys?!?


That's really all I have for today.  It's 5:30am.  Early.  And I'm ready for a nap... And the couple across from me really needs some privacy.  And this Starbucks smells like urine.


Just another day..... in an awkward situation at Starbucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment