Disclaimer: this post has a lot of opinions... if you don't like other people's opinions, I urge you to check back tomorrow when I exhibit less of them.
Don't think that this post is JUST about BOY-GIRL relationships, but it's also about friendships. I felt the need to write this because of a couple of reasons...
- It's what I'm thinking at this exact second
- I think it's important
- I want to be taken seriously on occasional circumstances
So there are "expectations" all the time of PERFECT relationships...
- "A good friend will hang out with you sometimes, a GREAT friend will hang out with you ALL the time!"
Not true.
- "A good boyfriend/husband will buy you flowers on valentines day, a GREAT boyfriend/husband buys you flowers ALL the time."
- This one is a stretch, my experience on the matter is limited.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that some people have expectations of me to be the "right friend". I can't commit to that. I also don't want to come off as "I'll treat you the way I want because I CAN!"... That's not my goal. But I don't want the situation to become what I've become all too familiar with (especially as I have gotten older):
- Friend A (we'll call her Rebecca) works a lot of hours and has very little free time for a couple of weeks at a time. She also has a new family member (niece) and wants to see her whenever she comes home because it's a rare and exciting occasion. Friend B (we'll call her Friend B) has a standard 40-hour per week job and loves to hang out with friends. She has no kids, no boyfriend or husband, etc. You get the picture... She decides that Rebecca is incapable of being a friend (good OR great) because she hasn't seen Friend B for a couple of weeks and turns to other friends to hang out and breaks ties with Rebecca.
- Close scene.
- I'm not a screen writer, do not fret
You get the idea. And it gets old...
I also feel like I need to see all of my friends somewhat regularly or I'm going to lose them. It's like - Ohmyword. I haven't seen this person in 2.4 weeks. We're growing apart. I need to talk to her. I don't even know what she's been doing this month. We have to get lunch now. WE HAVE TO GET LUNCH BEFORE THIS FALLS APART. I need to call her. She's not answering. I'll text her. She'll NEVER want to get lunch again because I've let too much time pass. I'M A HORRIBLE FRIEND.
I have a couple of really great friends but we only get to hang out MAYBE once per month... These friends are also my best friends because of our mutual ability to get along regardless of the situation. Notice, I didn't say we agree on everything, have the same style, etc. We are friends that just "get it" and it's refreshing. If you don't have that, and need it, or want it, get it! Talk to someone new, meet people, and put yourself out there. Be you, completely. If you're not you-you, people won't become that kind of friend. You need you be you-you to be the best-you. Make sense? I thought so.
Have a great day, and remember... Whoever doesn't love you despite time, personality nuances, or style, doesn't love you enough to be a friend for eternity. And quite honestly. that probably isn't their intention or desire.
I am me, quirks included and I love it. :)
Love to all!
Becca
I have a couple of really great friends but we only get to hang out MAYBE once per month... These friends are also my best friends because of our mutual ability to get along regardless of the situation. Notice, I didn't say we agree on everything, have the same style, etc. We are friends that just "get it" and it's refreshing. If you don't have that, and need it, or want it, get it! Talk to someone new, meet people, and put yourself out there. Be you, completely. If you're not you-you, people won't become that kind of friend. You need you be you-you to be the best-you. Make sense? I thought so.
Have a great day, and remember... Whoever doesn't love you despite time, personality nuances, or style, doesn't love you enough to be a friend for eternity. And quite honestly. that probably isn't their intention or desire.
I am me, quirks included and I love it. :)
Love to all!
Becca
I love your quirks. :)
ReplyDeleteAwww... that's because you have many similar ones.
Delete