Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Vacation Nostalgic Moment: Argentina, Part 2

So we're picking up from yesterday's post...

The trip was so so much fun that it deserves TWO posts.  FURTHERMORE, I will probably write about it again whether it's because I want to reminisce again, or because I forgot I wrote about it two days in a row, I do not care :)

So I photo vomited yesterday so I will take it easy today :)

I finished up my trip by hanging out with Sylvia, Martine, and Phillipe waiting for the drive to pick me up for the airport... Photos of Sylvia and Phillipe are attached... you need to know how good looking they are. :)
 

Earlier in the day, while Martine and I were out for milenesa (so delicious and thinking about it now makes me miss Buenos Aires), I found out that my flight was delayed by 6 hours due to volcanic ash.  Great... Just volcanic ash.  A volcano (the Puyehue-Cordon Caulle Volcano) erupted in Chile (see here) and the ash was so heavy when I landed that it looked like snow!  Grey snow, but snow nonetheless.

We found out at about 7pm that we were delayed about another 3 hours.  This put my flight at 6am and the agent that we talked to on the way back to the house from the restaurant, rebooked me. 

Anyhow, the driver got to Martine's at 3am to pick me up (we had to be at the airport by 4am for the 6am flight), after all of the stories told over bottles and bottles of wine.  I certainly learned that I don't date enough (despite what it seems from past posts).  I got to the airport and waited in line for an hour (of course, we were delayed another hour putting the flight at 7am).  I learned, upon my arrive to the counter, that the woman who allegedly rebooked me, booked me for a flight THE FOLLOWING DAY!!!!  Mind you, I was flying into Chicago so I could ride home with my family.  My family was in visiting my aunt and uncle south of Milwaukee.  They were already bummed that I was getting home 10 hours later than planned...  After much coaxing (and possibly a tear or two, courtesy of no-sleep and a bottle of wine), and a bit of shouting about the importance of my getting home, I got on the plane.  The last possible seat on the airplane (the row in front of the restroom in the very back of the plane behind a row of babies and possibly a hundred naughty children). 

For those of you pilots out there, don't tell the passengers that "If we don't take off now, the volcanic ash will hit the engines and shut them down during take-off!" in a bunch of different languages.  Panic is a universal language... We get it.
Once we finally landed in Atlanta (9 hours after take-off, and at 3pm), I went to the Chili's in the airport to get a beer during my 4 hour layover (which was also re-booked wrong) to Chicago.  I was approached by a nice, good looking guy that looked super familiar...  He asked if he could buy me a beer (and after the night/flight I had, I had earned it!) so I said yep.  We sat and talked for about 2 hours and had some appetizers before we went to our respective gates.

I landed in Chicago around 9pm and called my dad, who had been circling the ORD airport for about an hour in anticipation of my arrival (mind you he KNEW what time I was going to be back...).  My dad was so excited to have me back that he wanted to be the ONLY one to pick me up from the airport.  He saw me outside of the door in the terminal and he honked the horn (aggravating all of the people in Chicago who seemed perpetually angry anyway) and jumped out of the car.  Biggest. Hug. Ever.  He was so excited it was as if I had been gone for months...  He asked if I was hungry (um yes) and took me to the Red Robin for a burger which I hoovered in a matter of 48 seconds. 

The food was amazing, the friends I made are fantastic, and the memories are forever... If you haven't taken a vacation like this, I urge you to make the plunge.  I can honestly tell you that the time leading up to this trip, the trip itself, and the homecoming have made Argentina unbelievable to me.  

Now you get the small photo vomit again and I will close-er up for the day...  Sorry for the two long-as-heck posts but they make me happy :)
 My sister and Dad skyping with me one of the nights I was there... We skyped at least once per day while I was gone and it was marvelous.
 Melissa took a great picture of me focusing on the conversation
 And then laughing at the realization that I was sitting there with my mouth open... My just-married twin sister interrupted me and started telling me about her first couple of weeks of marital bliss and I replied "It's not about you, Melissa." sarcastically (in case you think I'm a jerk) and dad thought it was the funniest thing ever.
Mom and Dad skyped me together a lot, too... They are such a silly couple :)

Have a great Tuesday, friends :)

XOXO
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment