So I mentioned before (here) that I was having foot surgery. FEET* surgery. I had my feet surgery on October 24, 2011 where they went in and fixed me. I had (another dirty word) BUNIONS.
Bunion: A bunion is an abnormal, bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. Bunions form when your big toe pushes up against your other toes, forcing your big toe joint in the opposite direction, away from normal profile of your foot. Over time, the abnormal position enlarges your big toe joint, further crowding your other toes and causing pain.
I also had Tailors Bunions: The term "tailor's bunion" initially described an acquired lesion that caused chronic pain and swelling over the lateral aspect of the fifth metatarsal head (see the images below). These lesions often were present on tailors, whose traditional cross-legged sitting posture on benches resulted in pressure being placed on the lateral side of the foot, leading to the development of painful bunionettes.
(no, I don't sit cross-legged often)
ALSO, I had 4 toes with too-tight tendons: doctor straightens it by making an incision in the toe and releasing the tendon.
All of these things happened, resulting in approximately 90 stitches, 4 screws, and some heavy duty medical tape. You can read about the day here. I don’t think I would ever do anything like this ever again.
Since then I have been to Fargo and back. I went to Fargo for work on Wednesday night (two days after the surgery, yes) and came home Friday night. While in Fargo I was trying my darndest to be independent (…said the girl that had her coworker come to her house to pick her up, and cater to her mobility-needs the entire time they were there). My crutches and I had a heck of a work out.
I had a handicap hotel room. I had to have the handicap room because I couldn’t get into or out of a regular shower easily, let alone STAND up. Standing is hard. Well this handicap room just so happened to be at the very far end of (what I felt was) the longest hallway in the hotel. It was approximately .65 miles (not even making that up). On crutches it felt like 10 miles.
The good news is that I no longer have lunch-lady arms and my abs are rock hard! Ok maybe not. But it was a heck-of-a work-out.
At the meetings (all day on Thursday and Friday), people would ask me what happened and the first few times I would reply “skydiving accident”. The quizzical looks and hearty chuckles told me they didn’t believe me.
A man in the hotel (while I was waiting for my ride) walked up and said “too early for a skiing accident!” and I said “Can’t skydive when the show hits!” He was the only person that laughed. I felt better.
So anyway people were super helpful and wonderful and supportive the WHOLE time, and now I’m home! I spent all day yesterday in bed… I was only awake for approximately 4 hours. I woke up this morning as if I had just had the best nights sleep since I was a small child with not a single worry!!
Great start to a new day. I’m starting to feel back to normal… The happenings of the past couple of days are all a bit fuzzy and make me feel like I have been doped up for too long, and I’m finally feeling…sober. I will write again tomorrow to update you on the Fun things of life vs. the health-related things (those get old fast).
HAPPY Halloween Eve!!
Rebecca
No comments:
Post a Comment