So I find inspiration from fellow bloggers... and from Pinterest. www.pinterest.com. I love it. People are such smart cookies when you least expect it! There are a ton of DIY things and fancy shmancy outfits to try (as soon as I can wear shoes again), recipes that you would never think of trying... BOOKS, decorations.. Oy. I love it. SO this year I decided that all my presents that are purchase will be modified slightly to have some sort of uniqueness to them. No one in the entire world will have the same things as my gift-receivers because they don't know me. and I didn't give it to them.
It's like my cooking. No one can copy it because they won't know how/what I did differently. Unless my friendski's tell them. Which they won't. Not because the're anti-social, but because who would want something exactly the same as someone else..??
Anyway, I will post pictures of each item I made (sure, you can point our what I did "uniquely" but if you think it's ugly keep it to yourself) and who received it! I am so so so so so excited.
I am, however, only going to have one or two small gifts per person that receives anything... and most people that receive anything will be family. I decided that this year is going to be a little different. My family is always so generous with their gift-giving. Everything comes from the heart and is unique to the family and our history together. Let me give you the example of last year...
My gifts included a few really great things..
Mom and dad got me:
Coffee: Every time mom make's coffee, it's like a diuretic/hospital-grade laxative. I always let her know that her coffee (gourmet as she thinks it is) doesn't make me feel fantastic. Dad agrees so he bought me a Sam's Club-sized version of great coffee. And told me not to share.
Tools: Dad and I were at Menard's and I mentioned to him (conveniently, while walking through the tool department) that I needed my own set of tools. He gave me a quizzical look... We had done projects in the garage together and I know how to use the tools.... but it is an odd thing to ask for. He asked why and I said "Because at the rate I'm going, I'm not going to have a man around to fix things for me. I have to take matters into my own hands!"
(see my relationship blernal, here...)
Seamore: Some history... Seamore was a beanie baby that I had when I lived in Wisconsin. I was about 7 years old and Seamore was my best friend. Aside from Melissa. When Melissa and I shared a room, one night Seamore fell off of my bed, and in my dream, I had lost him! Melissa woke me up, calmed me down, and tucked me... and Seamore.. in so we could go to sleep. Such a good sister. Shortly thereafter, our 9-lb yorkie, Snickers, chewed off the nose. I received a promise from my parents that they would replace Seamore, and they finally did!
Lastly, Great Grandma's Bible... Great Grandma passed away just a few years ago, and Dad was given her Bible. She wrote in the Bible sporadically, pointing out verses she loved, people they reminded her of, and conversations she had with people that made her reflect on these verses. I deeply appreciate this one.
Another Example... Melissa's Gift
Dad pulled me aside a week before Christmas to discuss a gift he was giving my sister... He was emotional about this gift so I was incredibly eager to hear was was coming. Melissa annually took her time, during Christmas, to set up Dad's heirloom nativity set. It was a beautiful set he had for years, passed down through his family. Tyler had proposed to Melissa a month or so prior and they were in the process of purchasing their new home. This all being said, Dad wanted to continue the tradition by passing down this family heirloom to Melissa, the first of his children to take the plunge into marriage. I can't wait to see this at her house this year!!
It was a very emotional Christmas.
There's nothing we desperately need... We give things that are practical/unrecognized "bonuses" that might make a task simpler, silly (dad had foot surgery so Melissa gave him only one shoe... He didn't need two, one foot didn't work!), or things to make our living quarters more comfortable.
The difference this year is that instead of giving many-small gifts, I will be giving few-small gifts, and donating the rest of what I typically spend. I will keep you all posted!
Happy Friday to you all!!!
Rebecca
Pictures from the post...
![]() |
| This is the year Melissa gave dad only one shoe. She didn't think he needed the second one. (December, 2009) |
![]() |
| That same year Mom accidentally bought us maternity clothes and left the price tags on the bags... I love this picture of her... I like her smile. |
![]() |
| You can't really see it, but the nativity set is behind Carl. Melissa will have to post a better pic. |
![]() |
| I bought Melissa footies with a gift receipt because I felt it was better than getting a gift card and she would return them anyway. She didn't return them. |




I love it! I Laughed hard : )
ReplyDelete