Please excuse the formatting... I can't fix it!
When people tell you that you need a vacation,
they usually mean a couple of things…
- You look “exhausted” (or like crud)
- They know that you’ve been running yourself rugged and that time off has been earned
Either way, I looked at my vacation time at
work and realized I had 8 days to use up by the end of February (this was in
mid-January). So posted on facebook “Looking
for places to take a vacation this February and I need ideas. GO!”
I got a bunch of responses… But my friend Laura said she has time to use
up too and would love to go somewhere!
We looked around hotwire for a bit and decided on a trip to Phoenix,
AZ. I was excited but exhausted by the
time the trip came so I didn’t really know what I wanted to do (besides
sleep).
Anyhow, it was a SUPER eventful trip
· Day 1:
We got there on Wednesday night and just went to supper at a place called Claim Jumper. We decided we didn’t want to do anything so
we packed up and went to bed.
· Day 2:
We decided to start BIG. We went hiking…
We took a cab to Camelback Mountain where the cab driver made a lot of dollars…
He took us on the scenic route. Oofta. The cab driver (criminal) dropped us off at
the entrance and gave us his card. I
looked up the directions on my phone and learned that he did, in fact, make a
lot of extra money.
o
The hike was
awesome.
o
We decided to try
to walk on the way back (after 3.4 miles on a difficult trail and no experience
with hiking vertically). We made it 3
miles and called a cab.
o
When we got back
we rinsed off and jumped into the hot tub and met a group of really nice people…
Paul is a coffee salesman from Colorado.
Sheri is an auditor from Minneapolis (small world!). We met another lady from Alberta, but her name
was unique and I’m forgetful. Lastly, we
met a family from Poland; Patrick, Monika, and their daughter Natalie. That night we went to supper with Sheri and
our Canadian friend… The Polish family was supposed to come but Patrick had one
too many adult beverages and “fell asleep”.
Monika told us he woke up at 5am to walk to the nearby convenience store
to buy a Dr. Pepper and a hot dog.
· Day 3:
We called Aunt Barb and Uncle Tom to go hiking with them. This time we went a LONG ways… We walked for
8 miles (3 with Aunt Barb) on the national trail; Fat Man’s Pass included. This one was neat... Lots of drops and climbs
and it was beautiful out. After this
trail (and having done the difficult trail the day before), we were
exhausted. By the time we drove from the
mountain to a restaurant for lunch, I was so sore that instead of picking up my
water bottle I dropped in the parking lot, I wanted to lie down next to it
.
o
That night we sat
in the hot tub and ordered Chinese food (to be delivered to the hot tub).
o
It was an early
night…
· Day 4: We were so sore when we woke up in the
morning that at breakfast we decided to just spend the day laying by the
pool. It was about 68 degrees so we were
pretty much the only people there. That’s
alright; we got sun and sleep!
o
We went to supper
with our Polish friends and got some delicious Mexican food.
· Day 5:
I learned that a coworker had to miss a conference I was supposed to help at
(be there by noon on Tuesday) so I had to be there by 9am. Our flight was scheduled to get home at 11:20
on Monday night… That would mean I would have to drive through the night to get
there during the designated set-up time.
With no sleep. Laura and I
decided to wait on standby to see if we could take the earlier flight so we
left for the airport at 3pm and sat there for 4 hours to find out we got the
LAST two spots on the plane. I was put
in exit row and Laura was put in the last row of the plane… a middle seat. For the record: I did offer to switch…
All in all it was an awesome trip… Lots of
exercise, good time with a friend, great foods, and the opportunity to meet new
people. I would definitely do it again!
That’s it for today, friends… I think I might
have found a new hobby!!
Just another day in the life (of a mountain
climber??)!



It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and much needed! All of the hiking, and meeting new people sounds awesome!
ReplyDeleteRachel ~ Topaz n Pearls