Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Life of a Semi-Nomad

Well hey, day #2 in a row!

The month of April has proven especially challenging...  Work is always tricky and I constantly live at 100 miles per hour.  I will give you a glimpse/outline of this month and why I am such a cruddy blogger (and what I aim to do about it TONIGHT (no more of this "tomorrow" crap).
  • W April 10 - Albert Lea
    • We got this sweet snow storm that sent me to IA early
  • TH April 11 - Mason City, Waukon, Postville, Elkader
  • F April 12 Tradeshow in Dubuque, IA
  • S April 13 Grandparents 30th Anniversary in Mason City, IA
  • M April 15 Minneapolis Meetings
  • TU April 16 Tradeshow in Eau Claire, WI
  • W April 17 Des Moines, IA meetings/supper with distributor
  • TH April 18 Healthcare Presentation in Des Moines, IA and drive home to another snowstorm (9 inches)  WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING?? 
  • F April 19 Meetings in Waconia all day and home to visit with my sister
Mind you, this all happened in 9 days!! I got my new car on January 4th with NO miles on her at all... and NOW I have approximately 14,000 miles.  Note also that I had 2 weeks off work (and without an automobile to put miles onto).  Poor car.  Needless to say it's going to be a long trip coming up to be gone for 9 days with 500 miles each way.  Oofta.

So what do I pack for a BUSINESS TRIP?  Much different than a personal trip.  By about one bathing suit.  I kid.  Here is my checklist (and this is a LEAN list, so beware you over-packers):
  • Business outfits - enough for the days I plan to be gone +1
    • I try to plan outfits that I can use the same pair of pants twice or so.  People don't notice and quite frankly I don't care if they do
  • Dress shoes - enough to match the business outfits (usually one pair)
  • Workout clothes - enough for each day I am there -1
    • I usually have one supper per trip where I am out late and don't get to work out that day (most cases it's on the day I traveled there and I worked out at home
  •  Tennis Shoes and socks for each day I'm there
  • Slippers (never walk on the floors in a hotel)
  • Unmentionables - enough for each day of the trip x2
  • Jammies (one pair per 3 days - I'm weird that way)
  • Make-up (usually fits in a small make-up bag - mascara, eyeliner, foundation, lipstick... that's it)
  • Hair stuff - brush, hair dryer, flat iron, headband (in case we have one of THOSE days)
  • Briefcase - computer, notebook, literature needed, two writing utensils, computer charger
  • Disinfectant wipes
OK so here's the story for the disinfectant wipes... I was in a hotel once and got a chance to see people clean.  Now the name of this particular hotel will go without saying but I think it's of CRITICAL importance to understand where I'm coming from with this whole "disinfectant wipes" thing because I'm not that weird.
So the person cleaning my room used a wash cloth to clean the toilet, then proceeded to clean my coffee pot with it.  NOT KIDDING AT ALL.

 TOILET -----> COFFEE POT

Needless to say I offered constructive feedback and checked out (kindly).  Most recently, I was at another hotel (see the schedule above) and dropped the remote (which had been disinfected) off of the night stand.  I went to pick it up and brushed up against the bed skirt.  When I did so, I found fingernail clippings and cheese-its on the floor like they had been shoved under there.  
I took a picture of these findings and walked to the front desk.  Here is how our conversation went...

Me: Hi there
Him: Hi.
Me: How is your evening going?
Him: Busy, how can I help you?
Me: Well then, I thought I would come down and share with you my most recent finding... *show him the photo*
Him: Oh.
Manager who was listening: Oh my goodness, I am so sorry....... *waits for employee to respond to this fantastic coaching opportunity*
Me: *uncharacteristically quiet*
Him: So did you want to change rooms?
Me: Nah, I just thought I would come share this finding with you.  I had a craving for cheese-its anyway.
Manager who was listening: You can NOT let that woman stay in that room, that needs to be addressed with housekeeping immediately.  I will handle this, take your break.
Me: Nice to meet you Howard.
Him: It's Harold.
Manager who was listening: That's what she said.

All in all it was an enlightening conversation (and a heckuva upgrade).  Worth it for Howard's customer service educational experience.

Have a great night, don't let the bed bugs bite!!! For real though, make sure to check for bed bugs. 

XOXO
Becca

2 comments:

  1. Holy what a schedule! That is really busy! Yeah really what is up with all these snowstorms?!! I am so ready for spring! I am always skeptical of the cleanliness of hotels! That's pretty gross about the rag going from the toilet to the coffee pot! Nasty! Glad you're back to posting again:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know someone reads it, I love to write :) thank you for your comment Rachel! Any hotel horror stories you've experienced??

      Delete