Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New Gardening Capabilities

I mentioned in the last post, that I put in a new garden... I am THRILLED with the results but definitely used this year as a "learning opportunity". 

I live on .25 acres and don't have a TON of space to give up... In my back yard I have a little swampy marsh that serves no purpose and the area near my sliding door often collects water (that grows moss).  It sounds less pretty than it really is.  I love my house.  And my yard.  I did a lot of work on the front yard when I moved in (see below) and wanted to grow a fresh veggie garden like my older sister, Melissa. 
The top left picture is the online listing of the house before I moved in.  The top right picture is after I did the front landscaping.  The bottom picture is when I got the tree (see top left) replaced and tried to dig my own whole for it... I got a little over-eager/impatient waiting for a spade digger.  My self-dug hole took half hour.  Theirs took 30 seconds...  Oopsie!
Anyway, for the garden, I bought 3 yards of dirt for my 10' x 10' x 12" garden and planted basil, carrots, corn, cucumbers, green peppers, red onions, snap peas, tomatoes, and zucchini.

I will show you progress pictures as well to let you know how this became my learning year. 
before...
FIRST: I planted WAY too much
Starting with tomatoes.  But I DID want different varieties so I could have different flavors, but four is too many. 

SECOND: I planted WAY too close together
I learned that if I follow number 3 on this list with Carrots, I would not have a clump of carrots growing right now.  I will show you what I mean when I pluck them from the garden in a while.

THIRD: I need to start reading directions a bit better... 
When the lettuce bag says "one inch apart, one seed", they don't mean "dig a mote and pour in all contents".  Oops.
Immediately post-planting...
FOURTH: Give the veggies some distance... I know that I have a 10' x 10' garden but I should NOT have put 4 tomato plants next to snap peas next to zucchini next to corn and cucumbers.  Oops again.

FIFTH and final: Timing is critical.  I should have planted a bit sooner so I would be able to start reaping the benefits of delicious veggies right NOW.  However, life got in the way a bit and I procrastinated.  Either way, I'm patiently waiting for my first tomato.  I also bought a Green Pepper plant from Sam's Club, amazing.  It looks awesome and I can't wait for these babies to grow Bigger!
Taken 7/9/13
Like I said, this was a learning year.  I learned a LOT.

Much love. 

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment