Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Bless America...


I know this is something that is consistently displayed all over the world wide web today and the last thing you want to do is end your day thinking about something that triggers tremendous emotions, so I will post something "becca-ish" after this...  


I feel the need to post this because it is a significant part of who I am today...

September 11, 2001, I was in my social studies class at Northview Junior High School with Mrs. Ziemer.  I was learning something or other about geography when another teacher came running into the room with tears running down her cheeks saying "they've been hit!". All of the students in the class were dumbfounded seeing this person of authority displaying sheer panic as she yelled for Mrs. Ziemer to turn on the television.  When she turned it on, attempting to change the channel to the news, every channel we passed had the same show on... airplanes and tall buildings..  We watched in horror as they played and re-played the home-videos that had been filmed by unknowing civilians.  Tower 1, then tower two.  School ended early and mourning started for days, weeks, months, years.  Ten years have passed.
To this day, I struggle to look at pictures of the scene because of the indescribable,  overwhelming emotions - sadness for those that lost fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons... daughters.  

So today my parents (see below) went on a vacation to help my moms twin sisters (yay for twins!!) spend their 50th birthday.  It occurred to me that today was September 11th, 2011... Exactly 10 years after the tragic event that sent the United States of America into a whirlwind.  My mind started racing this morning piecing together that my parents were going to Chicago (largest city in the Midwest... third largest in the US) by way of airplane (large flying object) on the anniversary of possibly the most tragic event that has occurred since I came into existence. 
Mom, Dad and I at Melissa's wedding!
I know it's foolish to say "stay home, you don't want to fly today... it's only a 9 hour drive + $53 per night to park at your hotel..." but those were the only words I could get out!  I gave mom and dad each 10,000 hugs and "see you later"s (hate "good-bye") and called them on their way.. JUST to say it one more time.

I looked at my cell phone right after they left to check to see if I had any missed calls or messages from the latest match.com fella, and stumbled upon today's devotional reading.  It's a neat app on my cell phone that sends me a daily Bible verse to make sure my day starts out with the right mind-set (aside from the "10 more minutes, pleeeease!").
Today's verse was Romans 8:6
For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace

Now there are many translations to scripture as we all well know, but my mind shot to "worrying about something worldly is foolish and focusing on our ultimate goal is what really matters".  I know that we, as humans, worry about those that we love.  I've been known to worry excessively - always concerned that the "worst" could happen.  What constitutes the "worst"?  If there's a "worst", is there a best?  If yes, what is it?

I had this revelation... I know that every moment we're together on earth is incomparable to the eternity we're going to spend together in heaven with our savior.  That should be something we look forward to, not something we fear.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't be fearful of God, I'm saying we shouldn't fear the "worst" because in actuality, the "worst" would be the denial at heaven's gates.

Think about these things today.  Where were you on 9/11/2001?  Say a prayer for those that you're remembering.  The one's you lost 10 years ago. Know that God hears you.

God bless America.  Praise God for those that are willing to sacrifice.

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment