Thursday, September 22, 2011

So.... What constitutes "Appropriate"?

So here I sit... at a trade show.  Well, "sort of" a trade show.  It's more like a group meeting where a hundred manufacturer reps from the US and Canada come to one hotel conference center in hope to attract the attention of a potential prospect.  Infection Control Practitioner's.  These people are out of control!  Not really.  Our 6:30am start time was delayed to 7:30 due to the slow start to their day.  Sleepy heads... :)


The way this one works is that they have a seminar they sit in on for approximately 2.5 hours, then they walk around to all of the manufacturers for 30 minutes.  Another hour of seminar, 2 hours of lunch and mfg reps.  Then we're finished.  So basically: in between restroom and coffee breaks they come and speak with us about our products for controlling/preventing infection.


So the way it's set up is one large conference room for the seminar, then 4 large rooms that hold 11 tables each for manufacturers (i.e.: me)... all with two (a couple have only one) sales rep(s).  IF your math is correct, that should tell you that there are +/- eighty-eight sales people here.  How many of you love sales people that jump down your throat to try to sell you like.... a car?  Imagine someone walking around with thousands of dollars of medical equipment and they're working 100% commission.  These sales people are even trying to sell to OTHER sales people!!  


So anyway... we're next to this guy that works for a company that sells some type of hand sanitizer   That's awesome.  I love hand sanitizer.  He has this huge, intricate display that (even if you don't love hand sanitizer) makes you want to just buy it all!!  But really.  That's kind of a lot of "hanitizer" (as cousin Anna calls it... Hand Sanitizer is "too long to say fast").


So this man from the hanitizer keeps finding the need to fiddle with his display.  By fiddle with it, I mean squatting in front of his computer making SOUND adjustments (it sounds fine, dude!).  So in the quiet of the room (while all of the attendee's are away at the seminar), I've come to notice that he is suffering from a severe illness.  He has excessive flatulence.  Poor guy has gas.  It's not like the occasional *squeak*, it's more like obnoxious, flarp-putty/whoopie cushion.  I don't think he even notices it.  I can't help but giggle (silently)!  I have left the room twice to "get some oxygen" (gain composure).  I'm too far away to know if he's stinky, but I'm sure the stuff is toxic.  He's had 11 cups of coffee and counting.  "STEP AWAY FROM THE CUP!"
Appropriate? I think yes.
So It's 9:30am.  Only 4 more hours.  The good news?  I have allergies.  That's fantastic because I can't smell anything.  By anything, I mean "I can't smell this guys illness".  I'm a lucky bird!  These folks here thinking "that girl with the sniffles is unlucky because she has allergies".  JOKE'S ON YOU!  :)


Maybe he is sick... and I should feel bad.  But I don't.  It's my blernal and he doesn't know I've just made him famous.  You're welcome!
:)
Just another day in the life... of a girl who's happy to have her stuffy nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment